There are many strong reasons behind student’s interest in studying in the UK. Among many, one of the most remarkable ones is the opportunity of the post-study work permit. Let’s know about the graduate route visa in the UK 2023.
What is a Graduate Route Visa?
It is a kind of visa that gives students permission to stay in the UK for 2 years after completing their degree in the UK. However, if you have taken a PhD or other doctoral degree, this post study work permission will allow you to stay in the UK for 3 years.
Eligibility to get a graduate route visa
If you have the following eligibility, you will be qualified to apply for the visa in the UK. Such as:
- You must be in the UK
- Your current visa is a student visa
- With your student visa, you have studied a UK bachelor’s degree, postgraduate degree or other eligible course for a minimum period of time.
- Your education provider notified the Home Office about the successful completion of your course in the UK
If you have any doubt, you can ask the education provider if they have told the Home office about the successful completion of your course in the UK.
How long can I stay in the UK with a graduate route visa?
With this visa, you can stay in the UK for 2 years after the completion of a degree. However, if you have any Ph.D. or doctoral degree, it will allow you to stay for 3 years in the UK.
Courses that make you eligible for a graduate route visa
Here is the course list that will allow you to apply for a PSW-post study work permission after the completion of the course. Whether you can apply for the PSW will depend on the education provider for your course, the course type you choose and how long you have studied for the course. These are the following course that will make you eligible for the graduate route visa-
- UK Bachelor’s degree
- UK Master’s degree
- UK PhD or doctoral degree
You can also apply if you have completed one of the following courses-
- Solicitors Regulation Authority’s approved a law conversion course
- the Legal Practice Course in England and Wales, the Solicitors Course in Northern Ireland, or a Diploma in Professional Legal Practice in Scotland
- The Bar course in Northern Ireland, or the Bar Practice Course in the England or Wales
- Foundation program in medicine or dentistry
- Postgraduate certificate in Education
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education.
How long do I need to study in the UK to apply for a Post-study work permit?
- At least 12 months if the length of your course is more than 12 months.
- If your course is shorter than 12 months, you must study the total length of the course to apply for the post study work permit.
How to apply for a graduate route visa?
You will need to apply online for this visa. You will need to prove your identity as part of your PSW visa application. You usually need to scan your biometric residence permit with the UK Immigration-ID Check app. However, scan your passport instead if you are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein. If you are unable to scan your BRP or passport with the app, you will be asked to get the photographs and fingerprints at a UKVCAS service point.
When to apply for a graduate visa?
You must apply for the visa before the student visa expires. After the education provider notifies the Home office about the course completion, you can apply for the post study work permit. As part of the application, you need to provide your identity or the valid documents. However, you don’t need to wait until you have graduated or have been given a certificate.
How much does it cost to get a graduate route visa in the UK?
When you are applying for this visa, you need to pay-
- £715 application fee
- the healthcare surcharge – £624 for each year when you’ll be in the UK
What you can and cannot do with a graduate route visa?
With a graduate visa you can-
- Work in most jobs
- Look for work
- Be self employed
- Living in the UK with your partner and children
- Do voluntary work
- Travel abroad and return to the UK
With a graduate visa you can’t
- Apply for public funds or state pension
- Work as a professional sportsperson.
Can I study with a graduate route visa?
Yes, it is possible to study with this visa. But there is a condition. You can only study with this visa if your chosen course is not eligible for a student visa. However, if your course is eligible for the student visa, you can extend your student visa.
So, if you want to know more about post-study work permit or the graduate route visa, you can visit AIMS Education, a student consultancy firm in Bangladesh. Our expert counselors will help you by providing the up to date information.
Can I get rejected for a graduate route visa in the UK 2024?
Ans: If you fail to meet the validity requirements under Appendix graduates, you may get rejected for a graduate route visa in the UK 2024.
Can I stay in the UK after the graduate route visa expires?
Ans: The graduate visa cannot be extended. After the graduate visa expires, you must leave the UK or apply for a different visa.
How much is the graduate route visa in the UK?
Ans: When you apply for this visa in the UK, you need to pay a £715 application fee. Along with that, you have to pay the healthcare surcharge fee which is £624 each year. For healthcare fees, it will cost £1248 for 2 years. And for 3 years, it will cost £1872.
How long does a graduate route visa take?
Ans: Once you apply for the visa online, you will get a decision on it within 8 weeks.
Can I get a graduate route visa twice?
Ans: No, you can only apply and get this visa once in a lifetime. At the end of the visa period, you may either leave the UK or shift to another visa category.
Can I travel while waiting for a graduate route visa to the UK?
Ans: No, you should not leave the UK or common travel area while waiting for a graduate route visa in the UK.