It\’s a dream of many international students to take a higher degree abroad. But many of the students have a misconception that a foreign degree must require an IELTS as an English language proficiency test especially when they are from a non-English speaking country. But the thing is wrong. IELTS is not mandatory to obtain a student visa. A student visa has some other requirements too. And International English Language Testing System is one of the English language proficiency only. But as this is a major concern for international students, let’s know how to get a student visa without IELTS.
What is a student visa?
A student visa is an official travel document for international students. This document will attach to a student’s passport so that he can legally enter to study abroad. A student visa can be of many types. To obtain a student visa, a candidate must be accepted by the university or institution.
How to get a student visa without IELTS?
There are some mandatory steps to get a student visa for international students. Here we will know the steps to get a student visa and the documents that need to apply for the visa in the UK, USA, and Canada.
Student visa steps
- Apply for a study program.
- Make an appointment at the Embassy.
- Arrange all the documents.
- Submit the visa payment.
- Attend the student visa interview.
Required documents for UK student visa
- Passport or other valid travel documents.
- CAS- Confirmation of Acceptence for Studies.
- Sufficient money to cover the living costs and tuition fees.
- ATAS certificate
- If you are under 18, provide parental consent.
- Tuberculosis test report.
Required documents for USA student visa
- A valid passport.
- Acceptance at a SEVP-approved school.
- I-20 form
- Application fee payment for the SEVIS
- Non-immigrant visa application.
- All academic documents.
- Financial evidence to cover all expenses.
Required documents for Canada student visa
- Proof of Acceptance.
- Proof of Identity.
- Financial evidence.
- A letter of explanation.
- Other documents.
Is it possible to get a student visa without IELTS?
Before knowing the possibility of getting a student visa without IELTS, we should know what it is. So IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. It is an English language proficiency test that has four modules- Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing. A student’s proficiency is measured through these four criteria. Like, IELTS there are other English proficiency tests are also available to match the English language requirement to get the student visa.
So it is possible to get a student visa without IELTS. A student can study abroad with MOI– Medium of instruction, ELLT, Duolingo, PTE, TOEFL, CanTEST, Internal Test, and many more. Besides, if a student’s high school score is more than 70%, he can apply to some foreign universities without any English language proficiency test.
Best Alternatives to study abroad without IELTS
A student can take many English language tests to study abroad except for IELTS. Such as-
- TOEFL- TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language. It is a standardized English test for non-native speakers who want to enrol in an English-speaking country.
- Duolingo- Duolingo is the English language proficiency test score for international students. This test is internationally recognised and very cost-effective to take.
- ELLT- The ELLT stands for the English Language level test. This test has gained a lot of popularity these days. Many countries have accepted this test as an English language proficiency test.
- PTE- PTE stands for Pearson English Language Test. PTE score is accepted in many countries like the UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand etc. This test is divided into 4 modules.
- CAEL Assessment- If you are aspiring to study in Canada without IELTS, then this test is for you. CAEL Assessment stands for the Canadian Academic English Language Assessment. To identify the students with the right English skill, this test is one of the best tools.
- CanTEST- CanTEST stands for the Canadian Test of English for Scholars and trainees. It is a comprehensive test to measure English skills through its four modules.
- Cambridge English Test- It is another English proficiency test which is accepted by many countries.
Can I get a student visa in the UK without IELTS?
When you are from a non-English speaking country, proficiency in English is a must to enroll in a UK university and for getting a student visa. But International English Language Testing System is not only a qualification that the UK universities accept. There are many on the list. A student does not need any test to admit some UK universities if he has a 70% English score in high school or his medium of instruction is in English. So getting a student visa in the UK without IELTS is quite easy.
Can I get my visa in the USA without IELTS?
Though IELTS is considered the most recognised English proficiency test for international students, it doesn’t mean one cannot get a study visa in the US without IELTS. One can easily study in the UK without this test if he fulfils certain terms and conditions. So if you want to get a US student visa without International English Language Testing System, fulfil these conditions-
- A letter from the earlier educational consultant that you have completed your course in English.
- English should be a core subject in your high school.
- If you are from an English-speaking country, taking this test may be unnecessary for you.
- You may take some pre-sessional English courses before taking the main course. For example, IELP or the international English language program.
- There are many alternative tests available except IELTS. They are- Duolingo, PTE, GRE, ELI, Cambridge English Test, TOEIC, etc.
Study in Canada without IELTS.
We have a misconception that Canada is not an IELTS-free country. But the truth is that it is possible to study in Canada without IELTS. There are some Canadian institutions available that accept students without this test. Besides, if you have studied for four years or more in an English medium school, Canada’s higher education institution will accept you without it. However, you can enroll in some Canadian universities with TOEFL, Duolingo, ELP, CanTEST, CAEL, PTE, etc.
If you want to study in the UK, USA, or Canada, you can visit AIMS Education– a student consultancy firm. We can help you to get a smooth application and visa process to the UK, USA, and Canada.
Q. Can I get a student visa without IELTS?
Ans: Yes, it is possible to study in many countries without IELTS. There are other English proficiency tests available except IELTS. Besides, a student can take many pre-sessional English courses available which can help you to get a student visa without appearing in this test. Moreover, if you score more than 70% in high school, some universities may consider your score as a qualification to study without IELTS.
Q. Which country gives student visas without IELTS?
Ans: There are many countries that give student visas without IELTS like the UK, USA, Germany, Canada, and Netherlands. These countries offer higher education to international students without IELTS.
Q. Is IELTS required for a UK student visa?
Ans: No IELTS is not mandatory to get a student visa in the UK. There are other English language competency exams available without IELTS. Besides, some universities accept MOI and a high school English language score instead of IELTS.
Q. Is IELTS required for a USA student visa?
Ans: No IELTS is not a compulsory requirement for a USA student visa who has completed an international baccalaureate or other courses from an English language-speaking country. If you have a TOEFL score, you can study at many US universities. Besides, some US universities also offer ELLP programs for the students to match the English Language requirement.
Q. Is IELTS required for a Canadian student visa?
Ans: The Canadian Embassy is now allowing students to get a student visa in Canada without IELTS. Instead of it, TOEFL, CAEL, CanTEST, ELLT, and Duolingo score is accepted by many Canadian universities and institutions.
Q. What is the best time to apply for a visa?
Ans: The best time to apply for a visa usually depends on the country you want to apply to. As an international student, if you are applying from the UK, you can apply for a visa six months before the starting date of your course. If you are applying from the USA, your visa can be issued 120 days in advance before the starting date for the course. However, you are not allowed to enter more than 30 days before the US with a student visa.
Q. How early can I arrive in Canada before start studying with a student visa?
Ans: There is no set time to arrive in Canada before starting your education. Arrive in Canada with a reasonable amount of time to prepare yourself for studying.