How to Study in the UK from Sri Lanka?
The UK Education is a marvelous option for international students to illuminate their academic and career life. The UK’s renowned academic excellence and prestigious universities make it the most desirable study abroad destination for international students. One of the main reasons why most of the students want to study in the UK from Sri Lanka is its flexibility and short degrees. Besides, the UK has a good reputation for its top class research system. Let’s know how to study in the UK from Sri Lanka.
Benefits of Studying in the UK from Sri Lanka
As it mentioned before, the demand for British education is always at its peak because of the enormous benefits it gives to the international students. Due to the unmatched quality- education, world class curriculum and sophisticated teaching technique, it provides international students the best learning experience.
- Internationally accredited and recognised high-quality degree
- Top quality education
- Opportunity to work part-time on a student visa
- 2-3 years of post-study work permission after a degree
- Access to the world-class health service
- Postgraduate students can bring dependents to study in the UK from Pakistan
- Visa extension or switch opportunity
- Global connection and top-level experience
- Favorable weather conditions.
- Strong research infrastructure.
- Scholarship and financial support.
Admission Process to Study in the UK from Sri Lanka
When you apply to study in the UK as an international student, you need to follow some specific admission procedures. Let’s know about the processes step by step-
- Research on the universities and the courses. You might check location, ranking and facilities offered by the Universities.
- Shortlist some universities and the courses by checking the entry requirements, fee, scholarship, CAS deposit, installment plan.
- Finalize a few options and apply directly or take help from agent to apply
- Get a conditional or unconditional offer letter.
- Pay minimum (CAS- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) deposit
- Provide proof of funds and TB test certificate for the CAS. You may need to pass a pre-cas interview before getting the CAS
- Once CAS is issued apply for the visa
- Get the visa and plan your travel.
Entry requirements to study in the UK from Sri Lanka
The Sri Lankan students must have some required eligibility to study in the UK from Sri Lanka. The required entry requirements are as follows-
To study in the UK from Sri Lanka, a student will need some required qualification both in points and certain subjects. So it is better to check the entry requirements for certain subjects properly. It is better to check the course entry requirement properly while applying for it. However, Ulster University welcomes students with the following qualifications-
Sri Lankan A Levels with Grades CCC
Generally, for the taught program, applicants will need a degree equivalent to a UK first degree. However, most of the UK universities accepts students with a good grades in the following-
- Bachelor degree (Professional)
- (Special/Hons) Bachelor degree (General) may be considered for some courses along with a dissertation/project being completed within the degree
English language requirements to study in the UK from Sri Lanka.
To meet the language requirements of the University you’ll need one of the following:
- Grade C at Sri Lanka GCE A-Level.
- An IELTS or alternative English language tests accepted by the University with appropriate grades.
- Students who do not meet the English language requirements to take a course in the United Kingdom, may be required to take a pre-sessional English language course. But to take this course, a student must need a UKVI IELTS.
Normally for the graduate and postgraduate courses, UKVI IELTS 6.0 with no band less than 5.5 is required. Despite that, some courses may ask for a Higher score. If you do not meet the English language requirement, the university authority may provide you with a conditional offer letter. However, for other degree programmes,
- IFP 3 terms: IELTS UKVI overall 4.5 and no less than 4.0 in any band.
- IFP 2 terms: IELTS UKVI overall 5.0 and no less than 4.5 in any band.
- International Year 1: Overall 5.5 and no less than 5.5 in any band.
- Pre-Master: Overall 5.5 and no less than 5.5 in any band.
Other English Language Requirements are-
- Cambridge Advanced English.
- PTE Academic
- TOEFL IBT
- Trinity College ISE.
Course Options to Study in the UK from Sri Lanka.
An international student will find various course options while studying in the UK. So students can choose a course according to their choice and requirements. Such as-
- 2 year accelerated degree.
- PhD/Research Degree
- Integrated Masters
However, if a student needs a pre-university education, he can take courses like-
- Foundation or Pathway.
- Pre-sessional English course.
University Application Documents to Study in the UK from Sri Lanka.
Study abroad starts with making applications to the universities. This is the primary step towards your goal.
- All academic certificates and transcripts.
- Documents on English language proficiency.
- Reference letter
- Personal statement.
- Portfolio ( for the art and design courses)
( Documents that are not in English, must be translated by an official translator).
Visa Application Steps to Study in the UK from Sri Lanka.
After completing almost all the steps towards taking a British education, the final step is the visa application. While making an application, there are some steps you must follow. Such as-
- Select the right visa type.
- Start making visa applications.
- Find out the amount you need to pay for the visa application.
- Make an appointment by choosing your nearest visa application center.
- Upload all the necessary documents.
- Visit the visa application center.
- Track your application.
- Collect your passport.
Eligibility to get a student visa to study in the UK from Sri Lanka.
To get a British student visa, an international student must have the following eligibility.
- Must have an unconditional offer letter from the licensed student sponsor.
- Should have English language proficiency.
- Sufficient money to support yourself and your dependents in the UK.
However, you need a Child Student Visa if you are 16 or 17 and want to enroll in a British university.
Required Visa Documents to Study in the UK from Sri Lanka.
A candidate must submit some mandatory documents to apply for a student visa in the UK from Sri Lanka. You will generally need these documents to get a student visa. As an example-
- An international passport or other legitimate travel documents.
- Proof of sufficient financial statement to bear the tuition fees and living costs.
- CAS ( Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) reference number.
- If you are coming to the UK for more than 6 months, you need to provide a tuberculosis test report.
- Work reference ( if your study gap is more than 3 years )
- If you’ve received a sponsorship for your course fees and living cost in the last 12 months, provide written consent for your application from the financial sponsor.
- ATAS clearance certificate ( if required)
- If you are below 18, provide parental consent and the proof of relationship with the guardian.
Additional documents students may need if they are-
- Non-national from the country you are applying to.
- Under 18 years of age
- You want to bring their dependents
However, if any of your documents are not in English, make them translate in English before submitting. When translated documents must be dated including the translator’s name and signature with the confirmation that all are accurate documents from the original paper.
UK Visa Application Center to Study in the UK from Sri Lanka.
VFS Global is your partner for all the UK visa applications in the UK from Sri Lanka. In Sri Lanka, you will find the visa application center in-
Priority Visa Service to Study in the UK from Sri Lanka.
Yes, Priority visa service is available to get a British visa. As the UKVI is experiencing a huge rush due to extreme visa demands of international students, sometimes it takes much time to get a decision on a visa. In this situation, a student can apply for the Priority visa service. With the priority visa service, a student can get it within 5 working days. To get this service, a student needs to pay some extra fees.
Acceptable Gap Years to Study in the UK from Sri Lanka.
The United Kingdom allows students with the study gap. The authority prioritizes more on the students’ qualifications than the gap years they have. Usually, 2-3 years gap is acceptable for the undergraduate degree. And for the postgraduate degree, a 5-7 years gap is quite acceptable. Besides, some of the UK universities accept a student’s application with more gap years if they have the justified reason for this.
Career Opportunities for Students to Study in the UK from Sri Lanka.
The United Kingdom offers immense possibilities of career for the students who study in the UK from Sri Lanka. A Sri Lankan student can work part-time and full-time in the UK. Throughout the semester, a student can work 20 hours in a week. Nevertheless, during the semester break, a student can work full time. These work opportunities are a big advantage for the international students to gain industry-related experience. Furthemore, a student will get 2-3 years of PSW permission through the graduate route visa after completing a degree there.
Eligibility to get a Graduate Route Visa to Study in the UK from Sri Lanka.
Students will need some specific eligibility requirements to apply for the Graduate Route Visa in the UK. So to achieve the eligibility,
- You must be in the United Kingdom
- You should have a general student visa.
- For a minimum period of time, you must have a Bachelor, Masters, or other qualifying degree.
You must have one of the following courses to apply for this type of visa-
- A British undergraduate degree.
- A British postgraduate degree.
- A British PhD or Doctoral degree.
If you have completed one of the following courses, you can also apply.
- a law conversion course approved by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
- the Solicitors Course in Northern Ireland, the Legal Practice Course in England and Wales or a Diploma in Professional Legal Practice in Scotland
- the Bar Course in Northern Ireland or the Bar Practice Course in England and Wales.
- a foundation programme in medicine or dentistry
- a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE
Do and Don’t with a Graduate Route Visa.
Getting a Graduate Route Visa is fantastic. A student can apply for a Graduate Route Visa to study in the UK from Sri Lanka. But a candidate cannot do everything with a graduate route visa. The prohibition and the permission of a graduate route visa are-
- Work in most jobs.
- Look for work.
- Be self employed.
- Staying with the dependents.
- Do voluntary work.
- Travel abroad and return to the United Kingdom
- Cannot apply for the state pension or public fund.
- Work as a professional sports person.
Can I apply for a visa without a bank statement to study in the UK from Sri Lanka?
Yes, you can apply for the visa with that loan letter if you can submit an education loan letter from a recognized financial institution confirming the education loan to study in the UK from Sri Lanka.. According to the Immigration Rules, here is the evidence of financial sponsorship or student loans for students.
- An applicant must show evidence of the student loan by providing a student loan letter from the lender relying on the student loan that must:
(a) be dated no more than 6 months before the date of application; and
(b) confirm the loan is a student loan provided to the applicant by either the relevant government or a government sponsored student loan company or an academic or educational loans scheme; and
(c) confirm there are no conditions on release of the loan funds other than a successful application to study in the Great Britain as a Student or Child Student; and
(d) mention and confirm the loan amount; and
(e) confirm the applicant is taking the loan; and
(f) confirm the funds will be:
(i) before traveling to the UK; the fund should be available to the applicant, or
(ii) before the applicant travels to the United Kingdom, paid it directly to the student sponsor with any living cost portion of the loan being made available to the applicant by the time they arrive in the UK; or
(iii) if the loan is provided by the applicant’s national government, it should be available before the applicant begins their course ; and
(g) confirm the lender meets the requirement at FIN 8.3(c).
Scholarship Opportunities to Study in the UK from Sri Lanka.
There are many scholarship opportunities available for the aspiring students to study in the UK from Sri Lanka. Some international scholarships a student can apply are-
- GREAT Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarship
- Chevening Scholarship
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Fulbright Partnership Awards.
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship
Accommodation Facilities for Sri Lankan Students in the UK.
The United Kingdom provides all sorts of facilities for international students specially who study in the UK from Sri Lanka. Accommodation is one of them. A first year student will definitely get university arranged accommodation in the UK. So, students will get a huge relief when they first arrive in the UK. The British universities provide halls of residence and other dormitory facilities.
However, if a student wants any accommodation except the one provided by the universities, they can have many private rental options. If you are looking for private housing accommodation in the UK, AIMS Education can help you in a great way. AIMS Education has a partnership with amberstudent- a private housing agency in the UK. Contact us if you need it.