How to Study in the UK without IELTS?
Have you made up your mind to take a British education? As an international student, a student must have English language proficiency. Specifically, if you are from a non-English speaking country, matching the English language requirement is mandatory. There are various English language proficiency tests available. Among them the most recognised test is IELTS. This test score is accepted everywhere. But what if you don’t want to take the IELTS? Let’s know how to study in the UK without IELTS.
What is IELTS?
IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. This test is designed to help students work, study or migrate to a country where the speaking and communicating language is English. It has 4 modules. Such as Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing. The score is measured through a 0-9 band score.
Options to study in the UK without IELTS?
Many international students who want to study in the United Kingdom need to prove their English language proficiency. Since IELTS is quite challenging and the test fee is much higher, many students don’t feel interested in taking this test. They often search for alternatives to IELTS. Besides, if a student doesn’t want to take IELTS, here are a few requirements a student needs to abide by. Let’s discuss the requirements to study in the UK without IELTS.
- Pre-sessional English Course
If a student doesn’t have IELTS or other English language proficiency test scores, for them many UK universities offer pre-sessional English courses. This pre-sessional English course is a great way to improve English language skills and learn classroom skills. Usually, the duration of the pre-sessional English course is 4-10 weeks depending on the course choice and the student’s requirements. By taking a pre-sessional English course, a candidate can study in the UK without IELTS.
- Interviews that the universities take
Some UK universities take online interviews of a student before enrolling them in their universities. Through the online interview, the university authority will judge your proficiency level.
- A student from an English medium school.
If a student is from an English medium background and overall has a good score, then some UK universities may accept you based on your good score and fluency in English.
- English was a major subject in previous education.
If you have studied a subject where English was your major or you have an undergraduate degree in English, then you can study at some of the UK universities with this qualification.
- Other English language tests
UK universities accept various English language proficiency tests besides IELTS. So as an international student, you have various test options available. Other English language tests like Duolingo, ELLT, Internal test, and PTE is quite popular in UK universities.
- Proof of over 70% English score in High school.
If you have over 70% score in English in High school/ Class XI and class XII, then you can study at some of the UK universities with this qualification.
Can I study in the UK without IELTS?
Haven’t taken the IELTS yet, don’t worry. You can study in the UK without IELTS as there are many options available. IELTS is an English language test. This test becomes prominent because of its wide acceptance rate. But it doesn’t mean this test is only an option or way to enrol on the best universities in the United Kingdom. The reason behind taking this test is to identify students reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills. And it can be done through other English tests also.
The United Kingdom accepts students if they take other English language tests accepted in the UK. There are other options too. Suppose, you want to study in the UK but don’t haven’t taken any English proficiency test. Then, what’s the solution? Don’t worry. Many universities have international test options.
After applying to a university, if your other qualifications are standard, the university authority will send you a conditional offer letter. The conditional offer letter means you have to meet the specific conditions to study at the university. In this situation, you will have the option to take the university-provided test named the Internal test.
Alternative English Language test of IELTS to study in the UK.
Want to know the other alternatives to studying in the UK? Here we will discuss the information regarding all IELTS Alternatives-
- Test of English as a Foreign Language– TOEFL is an English language proficiency test mostly accepted by many UK universities to study in the UK without IELTS. TOEFL is generally considered to be easier as it focuses more on testing the English language than testing mathematical skills.
- Pearson English Language Tests– PTE is another computer-based test which assesses the English language skill of non-English speaking country students. There are three versions of the PTE- Academic, General, and Young Learner. This is another mostly taken English Language test alternative to IELTS.
- Duolingo English Test– Many UK universities accept Duolingo English Tests. It is a certified English Proficiency test. The test can be taken anytime and anywhere. This test is widely popular among international students as it is not very costly. The test can be finished in 1 hour and the candidate can get the result in 2 days.
- Cambridge Advanced English Test– If you want to study in the UK for work or study purposes, then you can take this Cambridge Advanced English Test. you can take this test on the computer or paper. This test also evaluates a person’s skill in four modules- Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
- Password English Language Test– Password is an online English test that is used for admission to UK universities. You can study in the UK without IELTS by taking this test. The test takes 3 hours to complete by completing its two parts. This test is highly reliable.
- The ELLT – English language Level Test– Nowadays a test that is mostly in the hype is the ELLT – English language Level Test. This test is delivered through OI Digital Institute and was previously known as OIETC. But the test is formed in a new shape and format with the name of the ELLT. The test is quite easy to take and the cost of it is highly affordable. Many UK study aspiring students are taking this test as an alternative to IELTS.
Besides, there are other tests also available to study in the UK without IELTS. Visit the university website you want to enrol in, and find out the accepted English language qualification tests there.
Can I get a UK student visa without IELTS?
English Language Proficiency is one of the mandatory requirements to get a student visa in the UK for international students. The United Kingdom has listed a vast number of English language test options to study in the UK without IELTS. By taking one of the tests and following other entry requirements, a student can easily get a UK student visa.
How can I prepare myself for the English Language Test?
Students from a non-English speaking country usually fear the English language. Many fears poke at their mind about learning the English language. In this situation, if they have good knowledge of how to prepare for the English language test, it will help them to achieve a satisfying score. No matter whether you take the IELTS or other tests, good preparation will help you to ace the test. You can follow these steps-
- First, learn all the practical details in advance. Get proper knowledge of the test format, scoring system, timing, acceptance rate and fees. You may also learn about the test-taking system. Learn if it is online or offline.
- Practising harder is mandatory while taking an English test. It is because practice makes you perfect. Take good preparations for vocabulary, and grammar. Besides, build a strong reading habit and listen to English documentaries. In addition, speak English a lot.
- To learn in detail, purchase a test-specific textbook or the preparations guide.
- To sharpen your English skills, you can listen to podcasts and watch English TV series without any subtitles.
- To get reading proficiency, you can read English-language newspapers and magazines.
Why do students want to study in the UK without IELTS?
The main reason students want to study in the UK without IELTS is because often they achieve poor results in it. Besides, the IELTS test is quite expensive. Many students are reluctant to reappear in the exam for this reason. Let’s here know the common reason for students’ difficulty to obtain a good score in IELTS.
- Students booked the exam hastily before they were fully prepared.
- They don’t study hard and assume the test will be easy.
- Another reason is the weak study ethic and no clear aim.
- Don’t practice properly.
Top UK Universities without IELTS.
It’s a misconception that without IELTS a student cannot study at the best UK universities. But the truth is that to enrol in the top-ranked UK universities, all you need English proficiency that can be achieved through other English tests. The United Kingdom is the most appropriate destination to take higher education for international students. There are a lot of top universities available in the UK that accept students without IELTS. Such as-
- Ulster University
- Northumbria University
- Birmingham City University
- Canterbury Christ Church University
- University of South Wales
- Durham University
- Robert Gordon University
- University for the Creative Arts
- University of Gloucestershire
- University of Huddersfield London
- Hult International Business School
- Swansea University
- De Montfort University
- University of Greenwich
- Coventry University
- Portsmouth University
- London South Bank University
- University College Birmingham
However, there are other British universities also available that accept students to study in the UK without IELTS. To know in detail, you can visit AIMS Education, a student consultancy firm that helps students to study in the UK, USA, and Canada. Our expert counsellors will help you enrol in the top UK universities easily. Besides, if you want to take ELLT exam to study in the UK, you can book it through us and get a 20 pound discount on the fees.